We are looking for an ambitious Consultant with experience in either management consulting, corporate finance, private equity, or investment banking, who above all wants to do high quality, impactful work they can take pride in—work that creates real value for our clients.
As a Consultant, you will work together with our co-founders and consulting team to deliver comprehensive financial models (Excel and Planful), build KPI dashboards (especially Power BI), conduct industry research, build presentation decks, and conduct in-depth analyses for management using financial data.
We are a boutique consultancy that differentiates itself from the big firms with best-in-class work and a strong functional expertise, and we have no interest in diluting our brand. The ideal candidate can not only keep up, but also win our respect through their work ethic, attention to detail, and high quality of work.
We’re looking above all for someone with a longer-term outlook who wants to join like-minded people in building a wildly successful company founded on that principle of creating high-impact value for clients.
This role will help you deepen and widen your financial modelling and data analytics skills and provide you with hands-on experience with client and business development. Ultimately, you will play a large role in a small but growing team with big ambitions for 2021 and beyond.
Our company has been mostly working remotely since March 2020, and we are planning to launch a hybrid work model in the fall of 2021.
- Build comprehensive and complex financial models covering client companies’ operations (revenue and expense drivers), capital structure (debt, equity and other related structures), working capital items (AR, AP, tax, etc.) and full financial statements (balance sheet, cash flow statement and income statement)
- Conduct in-depth market, industry and company research on clients, and develop decks and reports, for business plans, business cases, valuations, financial analyses and related documents
- Develop financial analyses/data analyses providing actionable insight to management through spreadsheets constructed with data from accounting/finance systems, operational systems, HR systems, web databases, etc.
- Develop, manage, oversee and implement dynamic spreadsheet “tools” covering a wide range of situations based on client needs. Examples of previous Sapling work in this regard include a manufacturing plant scheduling tool, a plant nursery harvest model, financial statement consolidations, personal finance overviews, life insurance sales models, investment account tax and return calculations, etc.
- Building automated Key Performance Indicators Dashboards that drill down into a company’s financial and operational data to identify key business trends and assist with forming a short and long-term finance strategy. Most of our dashboarding is done with Power BI, and we also use SQL/MySQL for data warehousing, and C# for scripting
- Manage client relationships, ensuring overall satisfaction, and looking for pertinent opportunities to provide additional services to existing clients
- Overseeing and conducting quality control on the work of the Analysts on the team
- As required, and depending on available billable work, assist with proposals (“live” client leads, government bids, etc.), marketing material development, writing of white papers and blogs, and help in the process of disseminating marketing materials (emails, webinars, etc.)
Skills & Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (i.e., commerce, economics, business administration, computer science, mathematics, engineering, etc.) is required, though work experience in a relevant field coupled with a non-related Bachelor’s degree (humanities, social sciences, etc.) can substitute
- Progress towards a professional finance designation is a strong differentiator (especially CFA, CPA, and also CMA, CGA, CBV, FRM)
- Knowledge of Power BI and SQL or MySQL databases, as well as coding (C#, Python, VBA, VB.NET, Java, C++, etc.) is welcomed, but not a must
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for learning about new industries and new businesses, as well as new technical skills
- 2-4 years in investment banking, private equity, valuations, management consulting or corporate finance —large firms or small firms both good
- Ability to take ownership of responsibilities and see them through to completion
- Ability to work independently and manage time and multiple tasks/deadlines/deliverables at once
- Strong dedication to the team and excellent work ethic with a willingness to work for extended hours including weekends when called for by client needs
- Desire to contribute to the firm over the long haul, with the understanding that loyalty and hard work will be recognized in both compensation and responsibilities far more quickly than in a large “brand-name” firm
- Application Deadline: September 10, 2021
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Location: Toronto
- Preferred method of receiving applications: please send your application by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application Materials: Resume & Cover Letter
Sapling Financial Consultants is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity.